Upon purchasing the land, Cleveland subdivided it in 1909, although little construction was done immediately. For a few years, the agricultural endeavors coexisted with the coming residential development. In addition to the dairy, there were working vineyards in the neighborhood where many residents also worked. The proximity to the Women's College also provided jobs to the local residents.
The nearby St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral is the source of the cultural history of the area. The church was organized in 1931 in a home south of the neighborhood and made the area an attractive settlement to Greek immigrants and later to families of Greek origin.