- Greenlink Transit
- I Want To...
- Get Involved
- Try Transit Month
Try Transit Month 2022
Celebrated each October, this month-long initiative features a variety of activities and events to introduce Greenlink and its services to the greater Greenville community.
TRY TRANSIT EVENTS
The events and promotions listed below are designed to make participating in Try Transit Month educational, convenient and fun!
Saturday, October 1 – Monday, October 31
Try Transit Bingo
- Time: Bingo Cards are due by midnight on October 31
- Location: Drop off the card or mail it to the Greenlink Transit Center Information Booth (100 W McBee Ave), or email your completed card to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Details: “Try transit” this month by doing activities that will help you become more familiar with Greenlink and its services.
Download a PDF of the Try Transit Bingo Card to print at home or save a JPEG to your phone’s photo gallery. Qualify to win prizes by completing 4 actions to cross off a row (left to right), completing 4 actions to cross off a column (up and down), or completing 4 actions diagonally.
Don’t forget to include your contact information when you submit your card. Greenlink will randomly draw winners from the submitted Bingo Cards on Tuesday, November 1.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1 – MONDAY, OCTOBER 31
Free Day Pass for Students
- Time: Apply for a free day pass (student ID required)
- Location: Download the Umo app, create your account, and complete this form
- Details: "Try Transit" on us with a free day pass!
Calling all students! Have you ever wanted to ride the bus? Take your first rides for free with a free day pass!
Complete this form for your free pass!
Friday, October 7
Name your Car Day
- Time: 5:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.
- Location: Greenlink Buses
- Details: Help us name our buses!
Greenlink is seeking submissions of clever/funny names for our buses. A selection committee will pick 12 names to be displayed on the digital destination signs on the outside of the buses running on Friday, October 7. Winners will receive a free 31-Day Unlimited Rides Pass.
The deadline to submit names is 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, October 2.
Past winning names include Wishing-I-Was-Fishing, Big Green Transit Machine, Gary Busy, Sweet Pea and others.
Submit your ideas for names now!
Thursday, October 13
New Passenger Orientation
- Time: 12 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Location: Greenlink Transit Center (100 W McBee Ave)
- Details: New to Greenlink? Receive personalized assistance with getting to know its services.
Greenlink offers new customers the opportunity to familiarize themselves with our vehicles and boarding procedures in a controlled, relaxed environment before riding the bus for the first time. Since vehicles used for orientation sessions are not actively in service, it also allows ample time for passengers with disabilities to get acquainted with the vehicle features designed to assist and protect them.
The orientation session lasts approximately one hour and covers:
- How to plan a bus trip
- How to board and pay the fare
- How to ride and signal a stop request
- How to load and unload a bicycle on the bicycle rack
New Passenger Orientation will be held on Thursday, October 13 at both noon and 5:30 p.m. at the Greenlink Transit Center (100 W. McBee Avenue). Registration is required. Please complete the form to register for one of the orientation sessions.
Friday, OCTOBER 14
Fare Free Day: Fall for Greenville
- Time: 5:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Location: Greenlink Buses
- Details: Take Greenlink bus rides FREE all day!
It's Fall for Greenville! Leave your car at home. Greenville Connects has sponsored a Fare Free Day in celebration of Fall for Greenville on Friday, October 14. Hop on board any fixed route bus for a free ride! Paratransit customers will also receive free rides, but reservations must be made by October 13.
Greenlink passengers can use the Google Transit tool at www.ridegreenlink.com to plan their free trips on October 14. Customers are also encouraged to download the FindGreenlink app in the Android or iOS app store to get real-time arrival information for the buses. More information about Greenville Connects is available at https://greenvilleconnects.org/.
Monday, October 31
Deadline to apply to CTA
- Time: Applications are due by midnight
- Location: Complete this online application
- Details: Greenlink's Citizens Transit Academy is a free, six-week program designed to offer Greenville County residents a unique opportunity to learn about public transportation and the opportunities and challenges facing Greenlink.
Up to 30 people will be selected from the pool of applicants and classes will be held on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 8 p.m. The class schedule is below:
January 4: Introductions, CTA overview, and Greenlink services
January 11: Operations and safety, Transit Center tour, and Greenlink's new technology January 18: Finances, capital needs, and maintenance facility discussion and tour
January 25: Service change procedures, bus stops, and route planning
February 1: Transit Development Plan and other community efforts
February 8: Group takeaways and graduation
The deadline to apply is Monday, October 31 at 11:59 p.m.
Are you up for a challenge, Greenville?
We’re challenging everyone to try giving up their cars during the month of November. Instead of driving alone, use Greenlink, carpool with a friend, or ride your bike. Choosing sustainable transportation options will help reduce congestion throughout Greenville and reduce your carbon footprint.
Even if you’re already using alternative transportation modes, you can still participate in the challenge.
If you pledge not to drive alone by car for at least one week (7 consecutive days) during November, you’ll be entered into a drawing for prizes.