department of public works
About Traffic Engineering
Engineering provides safe and efficient flow through the use of signage (regulatory,
warning and informational signs, pavement markings, and traffic signal system operations.
operates and maintains approximately 199 signals in the city limits and powers over 7,000 streetlights throughout the city.
Traffic Engineering takes the lead in the City's Neighborhood Traffic Management
Program, also known as the Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program. Traffic Engineering
also provides technical support for roadway projects funded through the Capital
Citizens most commonly contact us to:
- Report a sign or signal that is obstructed, damaged, missing or malfunctioning.
- Report traffic operations problems.
- Report safety concerns, especially in school areas.
- Get information on traffic calming.
- Get information on street lights or report a street light outage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Traffic Signals Really A Cure-All?
How are Speed Limits Established?
How Safe are Pedestrian Crosswalks?
Are Pedestrian Signals a Guarantee of Safety?
Will more Stop Signs Slow Traffic on our Street?
Will "Children At Play" Signs Help Slow Traffic?