department of public works
Engineering provides safe and efficient flow through the use of signage
(regulatory, warning and informational signs, pavement markings, and traffic
signal system operations.
Traffic engineering has recently added some ITS (Intelligent Transportation
Systems) features including 7 traffic cameras and 6 variable message signs.
Traffic Engineering operates and maintains approximately 180 signals in the city
limits, maintains over 10,000 signs, and powers over 6000 streetlights
throughout the city.
Traffic Engineering takes the lead in the City's Neighborhood Traffic Management
Program, also known as the Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program. Traffic
Engineering also provides technical support for roadway projects funded through
the Capital Improvement Program.
Citizens most commonly contact us to:
- Report a sign or signal that is obstructed, damaged, missing or malfunctioning.
- Report traffic operations problems.
- Report safety concerns, especially in school areas.
- Get information on traffic calming.
- Get information on street lights or report a street light outage.