department of public works
Encroachment permit forms may be filled out in the Construction Inspection office
located in the basement of City Hall. Please read the Permit Form Requirements,
and bring all supporting documentation with you to fill out the permit form.
This form is required for dumpsters, PODS, temporary access to private property,
utility cuts, utility installation, material storage, material loading and
unloading, moving vans, single parking space usage, construction in or adjacent
to the Right of Way, etc.
Working in the right of way without a permit is a violation of City code which
may result in a stop work notice and /or fines.
Permit Form Requirements
- Valid Business License Number (Unless applicant is a resident)
- Applicant name and address
- Contact Telephone Number
- Proposed work site address
- P.U.P.S. request number (Permittee's responsibility if excavating)
- Detailed drawing showing work locations, description of the work, measurements
from property lines and/or closest streets, or other permanent markers
- Detailed traffic control plan if working in or near the roadway
- Minimum 48 hours notice after obtaining permit prior to commencing work, except
emergencies (sewer back ups, water main breaks, gas leaks, etc.)
It is recommended that the person or company that will be performing the work
apply for the encroachment permit. The applicant will be responsible for the
encroachment for a period of five years. The applicant accepts all liability for
any problems, claims, restoration of encroachment, and/or fines associated with
improper performance of the encroachment permit.
Surface Encroachment Application
Sub-Surface Encroachment Application
Air Rights Encroachment Application
Structural Air Rights Encroachment Application
General Encroachment Application
For any excavations, utility installations, driveways, sidewalks, ramps, curbs,
or any other physical work in the public right of way, encroachment fees apply.
All excavations shall be backfilled with acceptable backfill, in 8” lifts,
compacted to no less than 98% standard Proctor. The City may request testing of
backfill to insure compliance with requirements.
Road surface shall be saw cut one foot back of the trench line. All cuts in
roadways shall be straight and smooth. Ragged edges shall be saw cut back.
Concrete shall be placed either 6” for low volume road, or 9” for high volume
road. Asphalt binder shall be permissible as a base material, provided applicant
agrees to mill 2” and repave trench line within 6 months of excavation.
View the City of Greenville
Design and Specifications Manual for current details files.
Permit Requirements for Dumpsters
Contractors may be granted one parking space for a dumpster and one parking
space for a truck, or for loading and unloading. Presently, there are no fees
for this blocking permit. Any additional spaces may be requested from Parking
Services at 864-467-4900.
- Dumpsters in the Central Business District are restricted to 12 CY maximum.
Containers shall not block driveways or pedestrian access.
- Food and household waste are not allowed in dumpsters
- Dumpsters placed near restaurants shall be covered at night to discourage food
and household waste placement.
- At any time, including special events, the City may require removal of
- Dumpsters shall not damage any surface.
- Reflective safety cones shall be placed around dumpsters when facing traffic.
- Dumpsters must have owner’s name and telephone numbers, as well as applicants
name and number attached for notification purposes.
- Dumpsters shall not be filled over the top of the container. Area around
dumpster shall be clean at all times.
- At any time the dumpster becomes a nuisance, it will be requested that it be
removed. In the event that the dumpster is not removed, whether by refusal of
the applicant, or due to lack of applicants contact information, the City will
confiscate the dumpster, and all applicable fees shall be paid prior to release
of the container.
Are you interested in using public property or a sidewalk for an outdoor cafe? Cafe Encroachment Info
Presently, there are no fees for blocking a sidewalk.
If permitted, sidewalk closures in the central business district shall allow for
a minimum five foot clearance for pedestrian passage through the blockage area.
Otherwise, the entire sidewalk shall be closed.
Proper signage shall be required for sidewalk blocking and/or closure. The
alternate pedestrian route shall be clearly visible.
If necessary, a temporary structure shall be erected to protect pedestrians from
overhead dangers, such as falling debris, tools, water, etc.
At any time, including special events, the City may request that the sidewalk
closure be removed.
Temporary sidewalk closures shall be removed, or at least opened to five foot
clearance, during the hours from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.