SC Homestead Exemption Act
The South Carolina Homestead Exemption Act provides property tax relief for residents by exempting the first $50,000 of the value of your home from property tax. You can apply for the Homestead Exemption at any time of the year at the Greenville County Office of Real Property Services, located in Suite 100 at County Square (301 University Ridge).
Applicants must qualify in one of four ways:
- Be age 65 on or before December 31, preceding the year for which the exemption is claimed
- Be totally and permanently disabled
- Be legally blind, or
- Be the surviving spouse of a qualifying applicant
Additionally, all applicants must:
- Be a legal resident of SC for at least one year on or before December 31, preceding the year for which the exemption is claimed
- Hold fee or title or partial title to your house or mobile home or certain life estates or other proper titles as of December 31, preceding the year for which the exemption is claimed
Applicants must submit proof of residency (SC driver's license, SC identification card, SC resident tax return) and proof of age (birth certificate, SC driver's license). Additionally, those applying because of disability or blindness must submit certification indicating the original award date from the state or federal agency authorized to make the declaration.