city of greenville sc
Form of Government
The City of Greenville was originally incorporated in the year 1831 and was known
at that time as the Village of Greenville. In the year 1869, the Village of Greenville
altered and amended its Charter and was then known as the City of Greenville. On
February 14, 1907, the City of Greenville was rechartered. On August 10, 1976, the
City of Greenville adopted the Council-Manager form of government pursuant to the
Home Rule Statute, Act No. 283 of 1975. The Certificate of Incorporation was issued
by the Secretary of State on August 11, 1976.
Under this form of government, the Mayor and City Council set policy, such as establishing
service standards and guiding the City's development. The City Council serves as
the “Board of Directors” for the municipal corporation. The Mayor functions as the
“Chairman of the Board.” Although City Council members devote a great deal of time
to guiding the City, they are not full-time employees.
The “President,” or “Chief Executive Officer” of the corporation
is the City Manager. The City Manager is responsible for daily operations through
administration of the annual budget, which is approved by City Council. All employees
of the City report directly or indirectly to the City Manager, with the exception
of the Municipal Judge and City Attorney. Both these positions, as well as the City
Manager, are directly appointed by the City Council. Other appointees of Council
include all Assistant and Administrative Judges.